Monday, January 28, 2013

The DNA Dilemma: A Test That Could Change Your Life


     The TIME article we recently read in class about Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) was really eye opening and fascinating.  I did not know that by just a DNA sample, the person's whole medical future could be revealed.  This is yet another example to prove that technology is advancing pretty quickly.  Many people have to deal with painful diseases such as cancer.  As a result, these families won't be living their lives to the fullest.  Others may be living life like no one's ever lived with many adventures but may be suddenly diagnosed with a chronic disease.  In Laurie Hunter's case, her family has medical history like her mother and aunt died of breast cancer and her brother died of testicular cancer.  In addition, a third round of tests found that seven genes were missing from Amanda's first chromosome.  Doctors found out that Hunter could have the same deletion along with her other two children.  Knowing that a deletion (linked to very rare tumors) that you have can affect your children's lives forever is devastating.  If I were Hunter, I would feel awful because that would mean my children are suffering because of my deletion. 
     If I had the choice to get Whole Genome Sequencing done, I would refuse to get it.  To begin with, I wouldn't want to know the possible diseases I could have until later on in life.  For example, if I do get WGS done, at let's say age 26, and the test results said that I would develop a type of cancer in the future, I wouldn't want to know.  I would not be able to live my life to the fullest even if I wanted to.  There would always be this hole of sadness inside of me every time I laugh.  I wouldn't want that.  Also, if I did get it done, I would want my doctor to tell me things that can be fixed.  If I was diagnosed with something that cannot be cured, I would want my doctor to tell me later.  But if I was diagnosed with something, whose conditions can be controlled or even prevented, I would surely want the doctor to tell me immediately.
     If I was a parent and I had the chance to give my baby WGS, I would allow it because I would want to give the best treatment and usually the earlier the diseases are found, the earlier the treatment can begin and as a result, my child would get better faster.  But if it was the other way around (I was the child), I wouldn't want my parents to get WGS done for me.  My parents would probably keep me from playing any sports or do anything that can cause injuries.  If I was old enough to understand my condition, I wouldn't want my parents to tell me anything and just let me live my life.  Furthermore, if I was the doctor, I would keep in mind, the patient's situation.  Some things I would take into consideration are: patient's family and friends, patient's economic status, and the patient's ability to handle bad news or mental stability.  A patient's family and friends should be considered because these are the people who would constantly be around the patient.  The economic status should be considered because they may not have much money but then the insurance would greatly increase.  The patient's ability to handle bad news is a crucial factor because if they handle it the wrong way, it won't be healthy for the patient and their family and friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment