Saturday, March 16, 2013

Second 20%: Tissue Engineering

My first 20% project was on surgery.  While I was researching surgery, I came across an interesting topic: tissue engineering.  Tissue engineering is the future of medicine.  Doctors and lab scientists have "grown" tissues from a skin sample.  The next big thing in medicine is "growing" a kidney or a body part suitable to your body.  This is a safer way to get transplants done because your body will surely accept the part as opposed to rejecting someone else's part.  When I came across this topic, I was amazed at how advanced our medical professionals and technologies are.  That is why I want to do my second 20% project on tissue engineering.  I would like to consult some tissue engineers and professors from the Wake Forest School of Medicine's Institute for Regenerative Medicine.  Some problems that I could possibly come across are not completely understanding the procedures for tissue engineering and not being able to find enough information.  Especially since I want to become a surgeon, tissue engineering truly fascinates me.

No comments:

Post a Comment